Home > Consular Services > Visa
Visa for Hong Kong SAR of China
2014-11-25 11:50

One: Application Guidelines

1.Documents Required

1) Visa Application Form– Please fill out the visa application form truthfully and completely according to your purpose of visit to Hong Kong.

2) Photo – Please affix one color photo on the application form. The photo should be recent, front view, in 48mmx33mm size without head covering.

3) Other documents if deemed necessary by visa officers.

2.Processing Time

For all the visas that should be issued by the Chinese Embassy or Consulate General:

1) Regular service: Visas can be obtained on the fourth business day.

2) Express service: Visas can be obtained on the second or third business day.

3) Same-day rush service: Visas can be obtained on the same day. (Visas will be granted in the afternoon of the same day if applications are made by 11:30 A.M.)

If an application is required to be referred to the Immigration Department of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) for processing, it normally takes about a month. Such an application is not eligible for express or rush service.

3. Visa Fees and Payment

1) Regular service: Hong Kong visa B1200 per person; Hong Kong Entry Permit B350 per person.

Express service: An additional fee of B800 per person will be charged.

3) Same day rush service: An additional fee of B1200 per person will be charged.

4) For any application that needs to be referred to the HKSAR Immigration Department for processing, apart from the visa fee of B1200, an additional B800 of telecom liaison fee should be paid upon submission of the application.

5) Please pay by cash or cashier's check . Please make cashier's check payable to "Chinese embassy or Consulate General". 

4. Other Important Information

1) Please fill out the visa application form truthfully, completely and clearly. Any false, or incomplete statement or failure to write in a clear way may delay the processing of a visa application or result in the refusal of a visa.

2) Visa officials reserve the right to make decisions for visa on a case-by-case basis.

3) The Embassy or Consulate General reserve the right of interpretation in case of changes to the information above.

Two: Visiting Hong Kong with a Thai passport, a Third-Country Passport 

1. A Thai citizen holding a Thai passport may visit the HKSAR without visa for a short visit or tourism purpose and stay in Hong Kong for up to 30 days. But in any of the following cases, the Thai citizen still needs to apply for a visa at the Chinese Embassy or Consulate General or the Immigration Department of the Government of the HKSAR before making the trip.

1) The Thai citizen intends to stay in Hong Kong for more than 30 days;

2) The Thai Citizen goes to Hong Kong for employment, permanent residency, performance or exhibition.

3) The Thai Citizen goes to Hong Kong for studies, professional training or industrial or commercial training.

2. For information on whether or not a third-country national is required to apply for visa and how to apply, please visit the website of the Immigration Department of the Government of the HKSAR: http://www.info.gov.hk/immd/.

Three: Visiting Hong Kong with a Passport/Travel Document of the People's Republic of China

1. Transit through Hong Kong

1) Holder of a valid passport of the People's Republic of China who travels with a connecting ticket from overseas through Hong Kong to a third country/region may stay in Hong Kong for up to 7 days without a Hong Kong entry permit. If the final destination is China's mainland or Macao, no connecting ticket is required.

Holder of a valid passport of the People's Republic of China who travels with a connecting ticket and a valid visa or legal document of residency of the destination country/region (e.g. work visa, student visa, permanent resident card) from China's mainland through Hong Kong to a third country/region may stay in Hong Kong for up to 7 days without a Hong Kong entry permit.

2) Travelers who plan to stay in Hong Kong for more than 7 days must apply for an entry permit. The Chinese Embassy or Consulate General will issue a single-entry or double-entry permit valid for 3 months with a maximum duration of stay of 14 days each time. Permanent resident card holders who have lived overseas for at least one year can apply for a multiple-entry permit valid for 2 years with a maximum duration of stay of 14 days or can apply single or double entry permit valid for three months with a maximum duration of stay of 30 days .

2. Visiting Hong Kong

1) Chinese citizens going to Hong Kong for short visit (regardless of the passport type) must apply for a Hong Kong entry permit.

2) Visitors under any of the following circumstances must apply for a Hong Kong entry permit at the HKSAR Immigration department or to the Chinese Embassy or Consulate General regardless of the length of stay:

(1) The purpose of the trip is to get employment, give performances or hold exhibitions.

(2) The purpose of the trip is to study, or receive vocational education or industrial/business training;

(3) The person who intends to work or reside permanently in Hong Kong.

Please visit the website of the HKSAR Immigration Department (http://www.info.gov.hk/immd/) for more information.

3. Visitors traveling with a Travel Document of the People's Republic of China to visit or transit though Hong Kong must apply for a Hong Kong entry permit.

Four: Hong Kong Residents Going to Hong Kong

No visa or entry permit is required for any holder of the following travel documents:

· Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Passport,

· Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card,

· Hong Kong Certificate of Identity (CI) ,

· Hong Kong Seaman's Identity Book

· British National (Overseas) Passport.

Five: Macao Residents Visiting Hong Kong

1. The following permanent residents of Macao may visit Hong Kong without entry permit for a period up to 180 days:

1) Permanent residents of Macao holding valid permanent identity cards of Macao and in conformity with general entry regulations;

2) Holders of "Visit Permit for Residents of Macao SAR to HKSAR" and proof of permanent resident status in Macao.

2. Holders of "Visit Permit for Residents of Macao SAR to HKSAR" who are non-permanent residents of Macao may visit Hong Kong without entry permit for up to 30 days.

3. Holders of Macao SAR passports and holders of Macao SAR Travel Permits who travel between Macao SAR and another country/region may transit through Hong Kong for a stay up to 7 days without entry permit, provided that the general entry regulations are met, including possession of valid visas or other entry documents for the destination and confirmed onward tickets.

4.Please visit the website of the HKSAR Immigration Department (http://www.info.gov.hk/immd)for more information.

Six: Taiwan Residents Visiting Hong Kong

1.Taiwan residents who live overseas

1) Holders of valid "Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents" may enter Hong Kong as tourists and stay for up to 7 days without entry permit, provided the general entry regulations are met.

2) Taiwan compatriots who live overseas should apply for a Travel Document of the People's Republic of China and a Hong Kong entry permit at the Chinese Embassy or Consulate General (see Travel Document for more information) if they intend to visit Hong Kong without "Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents". They should also apply for an entry permit. 

3) Entry permit to Hong Kong can be single-entry or double-entry valid for 3 months, or multiple-entry valid for one year with a duration of stay up to 14 days each time. Applicants applying for a multiple-entry permit valid for one year must submit proof of Thai residency (e.g. permanent resident card,work permit ect). If an applicant intends to stay for more than 14 days in Hong Kong, the application will be referred to the Immigration Department of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region for processing.

2. Taiwan residents who live in Taiwan 

1) could apply a pre-arrival registration through "http://www.gov.hk/sc/nonresidents/" which is valid for two months and good for two entries to the HKSAR with a stay up to 30 days as a visitor on each landing. 

2) should apply for "entry permit "issued by HKSAR Immigration Department through one of the authorized airline companies or agencies if they intend to visit or transit via Hong Kong and stay there for over 30 days.

Seven: Contact the HKSAR Immigration Department

Address: Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong

Tel: (852) 2824 1212

Fax: (852) 2824 1133

Website: http://www.info.gov.hk/immd

The Chinese Embassy and Consulate General reserve the right of interpretation in case of changes to the information above.


Suggest To A Friend: